As an avid user of Macromedia’s (oops! Adobe) Dreamweaver software, I came across a rather annoying issue a few days ago. Most of my websites and my works websites are written in classic ASP and I decided to use a Class to help with a solution I was writing in work. So when I went to use it, I noticed that Dreamweaver didn’t highlight the keyword “new”.
OK, so this didn’t hinder me from working but it’s annoying none-the-less – well for me anyway! So when I was in need of a break, I thought I’d look into seeing if Dreamweaver’s syntax highlighting could be customized or at the very least, extended to include more words. Whilst not related, this post about making Dreamweaver a Ruby IDE gave me enough clues to work out the answer.
So here are my little steps to fix my annoyingly little issue in Dreamweaver 8;
- Close Dreamweaver if it’s already open.
- Go to (an idea would be to show Hidden Files and Folders or put it into the Run command):
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USERNAME>\Application Data\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 8\Configuration\CodeColoring
- Open the “ASP VBScript.xml” file in Notepad.
- Look for the <keyword></keyword> tags and after the one for “Mod”, add in a new one called for the keyword “New” like this;
For Dreamweaver CS3, the instructions are exactly the same except the file is located here;
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USERNAME>\Application Data\Adobe\Dreamweaver 9\Configuration\CodeColoring
Now if I can just stop Dreamweaver switching my FTP and testing websites about when I’m using localhost, life will be so much better!
Hope this helps you all.